Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reviewing 2011's goals

Part of being a good leader is using the SMARTER method when setting goals.
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Timely
Evaluate
Revise

Since the year is approximately 14 hours from being over, I thought it would be a good time to evaluate and revise and possibly set some new goals for next year (which will happen in a new post).

1. Be 50 pounds lighter by December 31, 2011.
I am not 50 pounds lighter. But I am 4-6 pounds lighter. I went into 2011 weighing 242 pounds. I now fluctuate between 236-238. Weight loss has to start somewhere, right? I'm proud of myself for not finishing the year heavier than I was! Perhaps for next year, I need to set smaller, more specific goals a reevaluate more often - perhaps at the end of each month.
One thing that has helped me start on the weight loss journey was telling my family and friends that I can't eat ice cream unless someone else suggests we get it. For the most part it works, because I feel guilty that I would be betraying that "promise" to them.
I joined Planet Fitness as a motivator as well. For $20/mo, I have a (mostly) 24 hour gym and tanning salon. [yes, i realize all of the harms of tabbing, but it makes me feel better about my body and it is a reasonable reward to me to work out]. I went every week day in August and was extremely proud of myself. Unfortunately, when school started, I lost the motivation to keep going, because it was hard to get to bed at a decent hour. I hope to find the motivation I need to get back (like my upcoming wedding!)
I have a few ideas to help me get on track for the new year, but I'm going to save them for the next post.
2. Run Beat Beethoven on April 16, 2011.
I DID IT! I did not beat Beethoven, aka finish the race in less than 30ish minutes, but I finished. My time was 42:43 (or something super close to that), which was faster than my goal of 45 minutes, so I am extremely proud of myself. I think I want to run it again (even though I still don't care for running). On warm days this year, I need to practice running/speed-walking up the initial hill. That hill killed me right away. All I could think about was how my ski coach in high school said I used to have a death glare on hills. I don't think it has changed :)

3. Take more pictures.
I don't think I did. I thought about it, but I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I did several years ago. It's still on my list of things to improve on. Maybe this summer, I'll take that photography class Britton took several summers back and improve my skills some more.
I don't take as many pictures typically because I'm running late and forget the camera. It's either that or the events I bring my camera to are not very picture worthy.
I don't think I could be a sports photographer because for the most part, their pictures look the same all he time. It's rare that the athlete does something awesome and different...

4. Do not post any "dirty laundry" on facebook.

I would say I did pretty well on this. Intended to post more happy news and my complaints were typically general frustrations with patrons or classes or society as a whole. Nothing about specific people that would start more drama, as far as I remember.

5. Take timely action on any drama that needs to be addressed.

Aside from my truck, I don't think I had too much drama in my life in 2011. Nothing that impacted me directly anyway. Yay!

6. Post more to have written memory of my life.
I'm going to say 2010 doesn't count because it wasn't putting my life into writing, it was mostly class notes. But overall, I'd say I did okay! (I've never posted a picture into my blog from he iPad, so if it posts at the bottom, it belongs with this one :) )!.)

7. Graduate
I almost could have graduated this year, but I had the "great" idea of finishing two majors instead of just one, since I wanted to be a full time student for the full year. So, as long as I pass O Chem II, Evolution, Intro to Bio II and Fish and Fisheries of Alaska, I should be good to go for graduating with two majors in May.

No comments: